Monday 5 April 2010

Secrets (2)

Granna made us a very fine eggplant dish when she returned from her family. She is one amazing woman. She is old, but still very energetic. Sometimes I try to count the wrinkles in her face and wonder if I could be like her, when I am old. But she says I have my own destiny. My own path. I never know what to reply if she talks like that, so I just nod and say nothing instead.

So now I am here on my own again. Can't help but think of Tommy. He hasn't left since yesterday and although I didn't mention him to Granna, I think she knew something was on my mind. But she didn't ask. So I could just keep it quiet and all to myself.

Eggplant was her game. I found the song in my mother's CD collection and played it a couple of times. If Caro and her friends were here, they'd be all over me for playing that kind of music. It's not really my favourite stuff, but it is a catchy tune. And the lyrics are absurd. Who in their right mind writes a song about an eggplant?? Anyway, it's fun listening to it. But mainly because of the memories attached, perhaps. Tommy was a weird guy. He gave me two keys last year. As if he knew he was going to die or something. It's still one of my best kept secrets. Nobody knows about those keys or that Tommy has given them to me.

I might check out the blue-tagged one soon. Sometimes I walk by the train station where I can see the deposit boxes. Tommy's got a rental one he apparently paid for in advance, so the box is safe for at least a couple of years, or so he told me. And whatever is kept in it, remains safe too. Until I decide to open it. There's nothing scary about it, he said. It's just going to be a huge surprise. And it might help determine my future one day. Wow, that got my mind spinning! But it wasn't any money, Tommy laughed. Hm. Yes. I think I will just have to find out what's in that box pretty soon now.

No comments:

Post a Comment